With a diverse industry base, Frederick County has enormous opportunities
to grow and develop. The best way to accomplish this goal is by assisting
the businesses that are currently in Frederick County. The following programs
are geared at doing just that, and include state resources, employee recruitment,
and other departments/offices that can assist, too.
Maryland Department of Business & Economic Development
- Partnership for Workforce Quality is a business driven partnership
that helps prepare Maryland companies for global market competition
through investment in upgrading the skills of the workforce. The program
is designed to:
The Partnership targets small and mid-sized manufacturing and technology companies of 500 or fewer employees for continuous process improvements and the development of technological excellence. Businesses that are threatened by increased foreign or domestic competition are also eligible for grant consideration.
- Improve business competitiveness and worker productivity
- Upgrade worker skills for new technologies and production processes
- Promote employment stability
- For more information about the Maryland Department of Business & Economic Development's business services, please visit www.choosemaryland.org.
Maryland Industry Consortiums
- World Class Manufacturing Consortia is designed to assist companies that wish to become more competitive
in their industries in attaining World Class manufacturing status.
- Maryland ISO 9000 Consortium is an 18-month program of guided development and implementation of quality management systems, which conform to the ISO 9000 Quality Management Standards.
Other Maryland Resources
- MdBio is a private non-profit
corporation, which offers a variety of programs and services to assist
in the commercialization and advancement of bioscience in Maryland.
- Technology Council of Maryland is a member-driven organization that serves as a voice of and advocate for the high technology community in Maryland.
- University of Maryland - Maryland Industrial Partnerships (MIPS) has
been developed to assist companies in the development of new and improved
products, services or processes that will help businesses compete in
their markets and that will lead to economic benefit to the state. MIPS
provides matching funds for technology-based research projects at the
University System of Maryland's (USM) 13 institutions.
Procurement with Federal, State and Local Governments
Empowerment Contracting program encourages
economic development in historically underutilized business zones -
"HUBZones" - through the establishment of preferences. SBA's
HUBZone program is in line with the efforts of both the Administration
and Congress to promote economic development and employment growth in
distressed areas by providing access to more Federal contracting opportunities
- Entrepreneur Support Network is a responsive and proactive network of service providers for entrepreneurs and businesses in all stages of growth.
County Workforce Services/FCC Customized Training provides customized business training.
- Frederick County Business & Employment Center serves as a clearinghouse of employment information for the employer and job seeker.
- Maryland's Business Licensing
Information System provides online information system for all state
licensing information. You don't need a local license except for the
following areas: electricians, plumbers and home improvements.
- Maryland Department of Labor,
Licensing & Regulation provides assistance in job searches, providing
unemployment insurance compensation, and reporting on the needs and
demands of the labor market.
- Brownfields are abandoned or underutilized industrial or commercial properties whereredevelopment is hindered by possible environmental contamination and
potential liability. Funds are available through the Environmental Protection Agency
to help states clean up and revitalize brownfield sites.
- Commuter Connections provides a multitude of commuting options some of which are carpooling,
vanpooling, teleworking and also provides employer services for commuting
- Small Business Development Center is committed to assisting entrepreneurs with all of their business needs.
- Emergency Preparedness for Businesses is an initiative in conjunction with the Frederick County Department of Emergency Preparedness that urges Frederick County businesses to develop an emergency plan and be prepared should disaster strike.
- Pandemic Flu Preparation for Businesses is an effort promoted by the Frederick County Health Department to prepare advance flu preparation efforts. The site provides a free download of the video and a free DVD can be ordered which includes planning materials.